Here is the latest on Sharlands… Some good news and some not so great…
There will be no public access until at least March 31 as the Tasman Pine Forests LTD (TPFL) harvest is still ongoing. April access will be re-assessed mid March.
All trails were affected by August’s storm, particularly;
– Supplejack – Trees down and stream crossing gouged out.
– Putakari – Many trees down, slips in the upper half, bridge gone
– Kaka – Multiple slips and trees down, end jump gone and stream moved
– Broken Axe – Lower section below the road, severe scouring of the watercourse
– Willow Lane – Many washouts, multiple slips and trees fallen
– Aorere, Chings Highway, What the Doc ordered – No access as they’re in the harvesting area
– Keyboard Warrior – Slips
– Mr Chomper – small slip.
Good news is that;
– Repairs to Keyboard Warrior and Mr Chomper are underway.
– The climbing track to Maitai Face Rd is in progress
– TPFL are working with us to provide Sunday and occasional weekend access for work crews to start the rebuild.
Our first dig-day is this Sunday 26 Feb, where we will start the rebuild of Supplejack. Please meet at Sharlands carpark at 8.30am for a 9am departure. No Bikes. Bring sturdy footwear, gloves, a silky saw if you have one. THANKS!